It is commonplace how easily a child of three or four picks up a foreign language if exposed to it without any formal teaching. Yet we are unwilling to admit that a child of the same age picks up our unconscious attitudes and prejudices without being taught–and often retains these longer than any of his formal education.
Sydney J. Harris
Today’s quote has a very important message concerning how children easily pick up the attitudes and prejudices that they see from the people in their lives. We should always be mindful of how what we do and say can so easily be embraced by a child, whether we are a parent, a teacher, a friend or a neighbor.
For years, I have kept a notebook of quotes that I found to be significant. This particular quote was something that I added to my journal when I was in my early 20’s, sometime back in the ’70’s. I think it stood the test of time. Sydney Harris was a journalist for the Chicago Sun Times and the Chicago Daily News who passed away in 1986.
Click here for information about the Word Crush Wednesday Favorite Quote Challenge.
You can find links to other WCW quotes here.
[Photo from Pixabay]
This weeks’ Top Ten Tuesday list is things that will always and forever be part of your life. Perhaps we should know better than to say we will definitely, beyond the shadow of a doubt, no matter what, always do something. After all, we cannot know what life holds in store for us. However, these would be things that we can’t imagine a circumstance or scenario in which we would not keep these things within our behavior pattern. Items on the list might not all be positive. For example, my list includes worrying which I would prefer not to do, but realistically I know I always will. The idea is to quickly come up with ten things (in no particular order) that fit this category. If you wish join me by coming up with your own list.
Ten Things I Will Always Do
- I will always go to church regularly.
- I will always pray.
- I will always worry about my loved ones’ physical and emotional well-being.
- I will always read books for leisure.
- I will always cross stitch
- I will always cry at funerals, weddings and sometimes just because I need a good cry.
- I will always laugh uproariously when anything strikes me as hilarious.
- I will always enjoy the beauty of nature, sunrises, sunsets and clouds.
- I will always feel grateful and blessed for the wonderful people who are part of my life.
- I will always appreciate the creative efforts of others.
Would any items on my list be shared on your list?