A Small Project Finish – A Saturday Stitching Post

After completing a long term project, I spent a great deal of time considering what to make next. I finally selected an autumn sampler. In spite of the fact that I have an unbelievable quanity of fabric for stitching, I decided I wanted to order the specific hand-dyed fabric that the pattern called for.

While I waited for the fabric to arrive, I chose a small projec to work. The result is that I have completed another stitching project in less than two weeks. I needed that feeling of a quick completion rather than having to spend the years that it took me to finish the last one. It is a very small project only about 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/4 inches.

image

The above photo shows the project after the cross stitches were completed. Many projects including this one require back stitching, which basically means outlining design elements with thread to bring out detail.

image

The second photo shows the piece with the backstitching completed. Many stitchers dislike doing backstitching but it brings out the detail in the design.

The piece is now ready to frame.

Project Details: Apple Time designed by Lois Winston published in The Cross Stitcher, October 2005. Worked on 18 ct. tan Aida using DMC floss with 2 strands for cross stitch and one strand for backstitch. Stitch count is 43w x 53h. Design was modified replacing a chicken with the pumpkin.

Country Geese Sampler – A Saturday Stitching Post

Historically, samplers were a demonstration or a test of skill in needlework. Girls raised in a genteel fashion were expected to develop skills in the needle arts. A sampler would be composed of alphabets, motifs, verses and decorative borders done in a variety of stitches. The name of the person who worked it as well as the date were often included.

Modern samplers come in a variety of designs and is a style preferred by many stitchers. I am very interested in samplers.  However, I have only worked one during my long term cross stitch addiction.

Today I am displaying the one sampler that I completed.  It is a piece that is one of my all time favorites done for myself, but it is no longer displayed in my home.

image

Continue reading

Progress on the Unfinished Project – A Saturday Stitching Post

imageMany craft people who I know have old projects that were started a long time ago but got pushed to the side in favor of other projects. My oldest such project is from 2002. In March of this year as the weather turned warm and I was thinking of spring, I remembered this design of two rabbits with a flower pot.  I brought my project out of hiding. On March 28, I published a post about the project named Hide and Seek – An Unfinished Object.

2015-04-04 13.29.53The project when I picked it up in April.

Back in 2002 I had messed up in counting stitches in the left hand center area of the design beneath the back of the bunny and above the edge of the flower pot. It was a complicated part of the design and I was having trouble finding my way to correcting the design. I needed a break from it so I set it aside in favor of other projects.

This spring I decided to resume my work on it and last updated my progress on April 18 in Saturday Spring Snow and A Stitching Post.I made up my mind that I would not start another project until I had finished this one. Progress has been slow. Because of the level of detail it required intense concentration. At times when I otherwise might be stitching that I just couldn’t face up to the level of detail involved. I ended up not stitching as often as I normally would have.

2015-04-18 09.05.45Progress as of April 18, 2015.

imageProgress as of June 26.

imageProgress as of July 4

With my stitching on July 4, the top half of the design was completed. That felt like a bit of a milestone.

image I adjusted the fabric on the scroll bars to allow work on the bottom portion of the design and continued my stitching .

image

A Close-up of Progress on July 10, 2015

Part of the thrill for a stitcher is watching the design evolve. The second bunny in the design is taking shape. After all the cross stitches are completed, top stitching will be added to define features of the design.

This weekend I hope to find much stitching time so that I can make significant progress. The next project is waiting in the wings but I have to stick to my resolution to finish this one before I start another one.

[Project Details: Hide and Seek from  For the Love of Cross Stitch, May 2001.  Design worked on 32 count antique white linen using 2 strands of DMC floss over 2 fabric threads.]