Some weeks ago in response to a challenge I posted the list Ten Things I Love and Ten Things I Hate. Today’s List of Ten is a list of my pet peeves. To me pet peeves and things I hate are not the same. Hate may be too strong of a word but to me hate implies a deep, enduring, intense aversion or loathing. They are likely the kind of thing that truly infuriate me sadden me to know that they even exist. They are likely to be things against which I take a strong stand. Pet peeves on the other hand are extremely irritating and annoying but they are pesky things that you might react to but are not likely significant enough to make a huge issue. They are more likely to be bad habits or behaviors of another person. You would prefer to not have to deal with them but they are more trivial in the grand scope of things. Pet peeves are more petty than things I hate.
I will admit my original list of things I hate does contain a few items that more properly belongs on my list of pet peeves. That is mosquitoes. They fit the criteria of a pet peeve because they are pesky and irritating but are not significant enough to raise to the “hate” level.
Without further ado, here are 10 pet peeves, other mosquitoes in my life.
- Failing to pick up after pets so the unpleasant deposits are left on sidewalks and paths and lawns..
- Depositing dirty diapers in a parking lot rather than looking for a trash receptacle. Admittedly, babies need to have diapers changed at the most importune times and people don’t want to keep a particularly pungent package in their vehicle, but it is just rude to drop it other than in a trash receptacle.
- Throwing chewing gum away on a sidewalk. How many times haven’t I stepped on chewing gum, especially on hot days when it sticks to your shoes and is next to impossible to get off?
- Poor manners when using cell phones including carrying on loud conversations in waiting rooms or while waiting on an airplane for take off; failing to mute the ringer in meetings or in church; answering the phone while you are the customer being served in a bank or at a check-out; among many other cellular crimes.
- The person in the office who complains incessantly about having too much work to do and not enough time to do it, but each day spends the first half hour moving from office to office just visiting while ignoring the fact that you are already hard at work.
- Paying for almost 200 television stations and not being able to find anything to watch.
- Hearing those people who have such a grand mastery of the English language that every other word that comes out of their mouth is the F-bomb.
- Parents allowing their children to run around without restrictions followed by the parents thinking it is so cute when the kids do something exceptionally annoying.
- Gum chewers who loudly chomp and snap their gum.
- Aggressive drivers who switch from lane to lane in busy traffic to get a little bit ahead, and then you end of being right next to them at a red light in spite of their antics.
I certainly could expand this list well beyond these 10 items but since it is a list of ten, I will refrain from doing that.
What are the mosquitoes in your life, those things that are particularly annoying to you?