I have many interests. There is a variety of things that I like to do when I have time for myself. Since I am an introvert most of my preferred activities are solo activities or things to be done with a small group of people. You won’t find things on my list that involve crowds and constant interaction with others. I also have the kind of job where I have frequent interaction with people at a rather fast pace. This is another reason why I prefer quiet activities when I have free time.
After my husband passed away, my high-school aged daughter told me that I had to get a life. She felt sorry for me staying at home when I wasn’t working, although I was quite content. Now that she also has embraced being an introvert she also appreciates the time when she can be home alone.
In this week’s version of my Tuesday List of Ten, I share my ten favorite things to do when I am on my own time.
A List of Ten Things I Do In My Spare Time
- Read, read, read. I grew up with books and I always have a book that I am reading. My favorite genre is mystery, although I read a variety of fiction.
- Counted cross stitch. I have long enjoyed needle arts including sewing, knitting, crocheting and quilting. In recent years I have concentrated mostly on counted cross stitch although I am eager to get back into other things.
- Blogging. My newest love is blogging. When I started my blog in January it was an experiment to see if it is something that might interest me when I retire. Here I am, no closer to retiring but loving the blogging experience and the network that I am building.
- Work jigsaw puzzles. Every now and then I set everything else aside and work a jigsaw puzzle. No one else in my household enjoys them, so this is another activity I do by myself.
- Watch pro football. I grew up near Green Bay, Wisconsin. There are not many people who grew up there that are immune from being a Packer fanatic. Like many other sports fans, I live and die with my team during the football season.
- Watch college basketball and football. I am an alumnus of the University of Wisconsin so another one of seasonal passions is watching the UW football and basketball teams in season. I am a loyal follower of my alma mater.
- Doing word puzzles, especially cryptograms (and all the variations) and logic puzzles. To me there is something about stretching my mind in a different direction. I love solving these puzzles.
- Taking naps. What can I say? I consider having time for a nap to be a real luxury. There is nothing as refreshing
- Going for walks with my dogs. I am blessed to live in a neighborhood with quiet residential streets and a large open space. I love being able to take the dogs a walk. My yellow lab joins me for an early morning walk each day. The piebald dachshund sleeps in and if he’s lucky he’ll get a walk later..
- Playing board games and card games. I really enjoy board games and card games and this is the one favorite activity that involves other people. My current favorites are Phase 10 and Mexican Train Dominoes, although I am willing to try many different games.
Now to find time for all the things I love to do. What are your favorite ways to spend your time when the time is all your own? Are you mainly interested in more social activities or do you prefer solitary activities?