My Top Ten Tuesday list this week is not my original work. It derives from a BuzzFeed list of 26 Worst Things Than Can Happen to a Book Lover. Since my list consists of only 10 items I have pared the list down to those things that I personally feel are the worst of the worst. That task was not easy because there are a lot of really good items on the list, and perhaps one or two of my own that I could have added. A lot of these issues would no longer be a problem for me if I were to join the e-book movement, but alas, I am one of those people who still prefers reading a physical copy of a book. The feel, the heft, the weight, the smell, the page-turning, highlighting favorite parts, writing comments in the margin, easily going back to a previous passage, etc. are all things I enjoy and do not want to give up. Therefore, I am likely to have some of these things happen to me yet again.
The Top Ten Worst Things That Can Happen to a Book Lover:
- Lending a book to a friend and getting it back ruined.
- Lending a book to a friend and not getting it back at all.
- Losing your book especially if you are close to finishing it.
- Sitting next to someone who keeps talking to you even though you are clearly reading.
- Finding out you were carrying your book in the same bag as a leaky water bottle.
- Accidentally dropping your book in the bath or pool or whatever body of water you were lounging and reading in.
- Realizing you hate a book two thirds of the way through it and then struggling through the rest of it because you won’t let it win.
- Getting to a cliff hangar right as your work break is ending.
- Being asked what your favorite book is, as if there’s just one.
To all the book lovers, which of these are the worst of the worst? What other things would you add to this list?
[Note: I found Top Ten Tuesday features on other blogs much older and well-established than mine. I did not deliberately steal this idea from another website. It was probably just in looking for alliteration and a week day feature that I came up with the same title that others have used. However, I do want to give credit to another Top Ten Tuesday blog because I find it to be fascinating and it relates well to this week’s list. Check out The Broke and the Bookish. They have a weekly list that always relates to books.]
The book-loving good woman, just another thread of my life.