International Women’s Day was on Sunday, March 8. The month of March is Women’s History Month. In honor of those two occasions, today’s Top Ten Tuesday is a list of quotes by women about women. I looked for quotes that are somewhat obscure and tried to stay away from those quotes that are commonplace. However, since we all come from different places it is completely possible that just because I had not previously heard them does not mean that they are obscure.
Think about these quotes. What are the messages they communicate about women and about men and about society? You may agree or disagree with any of them, but it is worthwhile to think about what they suggest.
- Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow in my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the President’s spouse. I wish him well. –Barbara Bush
- We ask justice, we ask equality, we ask that all the civil and political rights that belong to citizens of the United States, be guaranteed to us and our daughters forever. –Susan B. Anthony.
- The test for whether or not you can hold a job should not be the arrangement of your chromosomes.–Bella Abzug
- One of the things about equality is not just that you be treated equally to a man, but that you treat yourself equally to the way you treat a man.–Marlo Thomas
- Whether women are better than men I cannot say – but I can say they are certainly no worse.–Golda Meir
- For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.–Virginia Woolf
- I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be a challenge to others. –Amelia Earhart
- There is a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.–Madeline Albright
- Remember Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels. –Faith Whittlesey
- Taking joy in living is a woman’s best cosmetic.–Rosalind Russell
Do any of these quotes resonate with you? What is the most important message for
women all people to hear and to embrace?